Although it’s often perceived as a loan for people on benefits, this isn’t the case. You don’t have to be out of work to qualify so don’t let that deter you from applying. A job centre plus crisis loan is provided from a social fund to meet an extremely urgent short-term financial need.
Your need to borrow money must be both urgent and a short-term requirement. For example, you’re waiting for your first benefits payment to reach you and can’t afford to feed your family. Once you receive payment, pay it off.
If you don’t qualify for a quick cash loan from the DSS, you can appeal against the decision. There is a formal process in place that could help you to get the decision overturned. You may also be eligible for payday credit, a pawn shop loan, a credit union cash advance or be able to borrow money from a doorstep lender. They aren’t interest-free, but provide a way of making it through to to the next month.
How Much Can You Get a No Interest Job Centre Plus Crisis Loan for?
The DWP doesn’t specify any upper limit, but a quick phonecall revealed that you may be able to get an interest-free fast cash advance loan of up to £1,500. They will individually assess your employment status, sources of income, cash in hand, availability of credit, benefit entitlements, savings and whether you’ve taken out a loan with no interest from the social fund previously. It’s usually advisable to try to justify a slightly higher figure because they regularly offer applicants a reduced sum of money.
If you have a very bad credit history, you probably don’t have your own checking account to deposit the funds. If this is the case, you can open a basic bank account at any major high street financial institution. As an alternative, you could open a Post Office® card account or credit union bank account. This will be necessary as you’ll need somewhere for them to deposit the funds.
Eligibility Criteria for Job Centre Crisis Loans with No Interest
- You must be a minimum of 16 years old.
- Your family lacks the sufficient financial resources to meet a short-term need. This situation must be classified as a short-term financial issue and not a long-term problem.
- Without the provision of an interest free loan from the DSS, there would be a serious risk of harm to either or both you and your family.
- If you’re currently in receipt of a community care grant, are moving home and don’t have enough money to cover the deposit for a non-local authority landlord.
Private Sector Quick Cash Loans for Unemployed People & Low Earners
- Fast cash loan for up to £1,000 from a payday lender.
- Collateral-based pawnbroker loan.
- A doorstep cash loan for bad credit scores.
- Poor credit loan from a credit union.
- A credit card cash advance from an ATM.
- Guaranteed family loans.
- Store credit or a hire purchase agreement.
Procedures when Your Application for a DSS Crisis Loan is Rejected
Although strict guidelines are followed, the decision remains subjective. If you’re not satisfied with the outcome, you should appeal within 28 days of the decision. In the first instance, you should write to your local job centre explaining the reasons why you believe that the decision was wrong. If you remain unhappy, you can request that the matter is reviewed by a Social Fund Inspector. Know your rights when applying for a job centre crisis loan and don’t delay if you intend to appeal against the decision.